Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip and fall injuries are among the most common kinds of premises liability accidents. In fact, falls are one of the most common reasons for visits to emergency departments, with 8 million visits each year. An older adult falls once every second, making it the leading cause of injury for this subset of the population. Slips and falls are also the leading cause of workplace injury for workers aged 15-24, proving that slip and fall cases affect all age groups.
Types of Slip and Fall Cases
While a person may slip and fall for any number of reasons, there are some reasons that are more common than others, such as:
- Injuries resulting from inadequate maintenance. This may include cracks in the sidewalk, broken stairs, and loose handrails.
- Uneven or wet floors. The National Floor Safety Institute reports there are 2 million injuries resulting from flooring issues each year.
- Unsafe construction worksites. Unguarded manholes and other construction-related hazards can lead to serious injury.
- Injuries resulting from inadequate lighting in public places.
- Safety code violations, especially in the workplace.
Do I Have a Slip and Fall Injury Claim?
When you’re injured, one of the first things you may ask yourself is “how am I going to pay my medical bills?” A civil personal injury claim can compensate you not only for medical bills, but also lost wages and intangible losses such as pain and suffering. Securing a personal injury claim requires sufficient evidence of the following:
- The owner of the property in which you were injured knew that an unsafe or defective condition existed;
- He or she failed to fix it;
- You were injured as a direct result, and
- You had a legal right to be in the place you were injured.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, there are certain steps you can take to protect your potential personal injury claim. Do the following:
- Report the accident as soon as possible. An official record will help your case in the long run. Talk to the highest ranking official available if injured on a commercial property, and ask for a copy of the incident report.
- Get contact information for eyewitnesses. If there were others around, ask for their name and phone number. Request that this information is recorded in the incident report.
- Take pictures, if possible. If you’re not seriously injured, take a few pictures of the accident scene – the unsafe and defective condition, in particular.
- Seek medical care. Receiving timely medical care is not only the best thing for your health, but also for your personal injury claim. A jury or insurance company will be more likely to take your claim seriously if you get appropriate medical care in a timely manner.
- Don’t sign any paperwork. You might receive correspondence or an offer from an insurance claims adjuster. Have an attorney review any offers or paperwork before signing.
- Keep all your scheduled appointments. If you require physical therapy or follow-up visits with your physician, don’t neglect them. An insurance company won’t be able to make a claim that your healing was slowed by noncompliance.
Find a Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Attorney to Protect Your Interests
Having a legal advocate by your side is essential to your slip and fall case. A personal injury attorney from the Law Offices of David I. Fuchs will work to protect your best interests and help secure a fair settlement.
If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall accident and believe someone else was to blame for your injuries, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim. Call the Law Offices of David I. Fuchs to set up a free initial consultation. We offer our services on a contingency-fee basis, so the process is at no risk to you. Contact us to schedule your appointment.